Saturday, February 28, 2009

1-Minute Roundups – 28 Feb 09

Sometimes, I don’t really have time to write full articles, and that’s why I’m starting a series of “One-Minute Roundups” - articles that take under a minute to read (though much more time for me to research and write). Usually they will feature interesting software and news I gather from my favourite sites. Here’s today’s roundup to kick things off:

SearchMyFiles

image

This tiny (39,424 bytes!), portable program lets you search through your files and folders. You can filter files based on their attributes and absolute/ relative times. I would still use Everything most of the time though, but this would come in handy for more specific searches.

Nirsoft.com ,via Softpedia

Little Registry Cleaner

image

Yet another program to remove invalid registry entries. Scanning was quick, and the entries found seem safe to delete. Automatic backups means restoring changes is a snap. I’ve some problems viewing selected entries in the registry editor though.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/littlecleaner/ , via Lifehacker

PC Tools ThreatFire

image

Offers behaviour-based threat detection in real-time. I installed it with Comodo Firewall, and have experienced no problems running both at the same time. The program also allows you to perform an on-demand scan for rootkits. Takes up less than 10 Mb of memory running in the background.

PC Tools ThreatFire

0 comments:

Post a Comment